Labels

Thursday, December 22, 2016

BOOK SPOTLIGHT TOUR: Life Outside the Box by Marilyn R. Wilson

Book Description:

This second edition offers new content added to each and every chapter - personal author reflections from behind the scenes.

Get inspired to step out of your box and embrace your potential. From the corporate world, to the arts, to working with the disenfranchised, the message is clear: there is no such thing as a normal way to live your life and no one right solution to any problem. Selected from over a hundred interviews, the stories shared here open a window on the journeys of seven women and three men who have charted their own paths, including Ruthie Davis--top US luxury shoe designer and the winner of the 2014 AAFA Footwear Designer of the Year award; and Geir Ness whose perfume is a staple in Nordstrom, Disney World, and on Disney Cruise Lines. Enjoy a glimpse behind the scenes into the unique ways these individuals have chosen to deal with life's challenges and how they define success in their careers.

Buy the Book:  Amazon  ~   Barnes & Noble



Author's Bio:


Marilyn R. Wilson is a freelance writer and speaker with a passion for interviewing. Her career as a writer began in an unusual way, by answering a Craigslist ad. It was while conducting her first interview the world shifted - she had found her passion. Since 2006, she has interviewed over 150 people from as near as her hometown of Vancouver, Canada, and as far away as South Africa.

​Whether through a random encounter on the New York subway or via a one-on-one interview with an internationally recognized artist, the goal is the same-to give wings to the unique journeys of inspiring individuals. This goal first led the author to co-launch a successful, innovative magazine focused on professionals working in the fashion industry paired with photography and illustrations by local artists. Then in 2015, Wilson took her passion to a new audience with the release of her first book, the first in a series featuring the lives of real people living real lives.

Connect with the author:  Website  ~  Twitter  ~  Facebook  ~ Instagram





Interview with Marilyn R Wilson

1. What was your journey to becoming a writer?

I actually started at a later age - proving it's never too late.  My kids were all teenagers and didn't need as much of my time, so I went on Craigslist to look at job listings. On a total whim, and with no experience behind me, I sent off several submissions to a New York Magazine looking for fashion articles. No one was more surprised than me when two were accepted. The articles were on local fashion designers and it was while conducting my first interview that I realized I had found my passion. I love hearing others share their story. Learning what made for a good article took time as well as a lot of trial and error. It was hard. But I love interviewing and so I put my nose to the grind stone and just worked very hard.

2. Do you ever struggle with Writer's Block?

Absolutely. While there are exceptions, I think most writers do at some time or another.  For me it comes from a lack of confidence. I am not writing my own words, I'm trying to channel the story of someone else. The responsibility to get it right weighs heavily at times.  There really is no solution but to sit down and try. Once the words are on paper, however, I actually like the editing process. I have been told it's the reverse for many others. They like the writing and hate the editing.

3. What makes for a great interview?

I love unique. I love diversity. I love hearing a life story that is totally different from mine. The more different, the more I am intrigued. On a practical note, it simplest when the person enjoys telling their story.  I am a totally rapt audience which makes it easier for most, but some people are very private by nature and uncomfortable talking about themselves. At these times it takes a lot of encouragement to tease out their story. And that's where practice and enthusiasm helps.

4. What do you love most about what you do? What do you love the least?

What I love most is doing the interviews. I have always had a passion for people's journeys and through them I have learned to accept my own uniqueness. It's okay to be different.  Least favorite? I record all interviews and that means transcribing them.  It takes a long time and is very tedious. I have finally outsourced most of the transcribing. I also don't enjoy marketing and promotion. It's a lot of work and takes up enormous time that I'd rather spend interviewing and writing. 

5. What is one thing people don't know about you?

That I struggle with confidence at times.  I have a lot of energy and enjoy most social experiences. When I'm on a roll like that I can look (and feel) very confident. But I was an odd duck growing up - not a girlie girl.  So there are events where it feels everyone knows the rules of behavior - well except me. Wedding and baby showers top the list.  Or events where social expectations on how to behave are high. Somehow I missed that gene. Thankfully it's not all the time and I now know how to prepare myself mentally ahead of time. 

6. 2017 saw a big change for you. What was that?

In October my publisher decided to change their focus and moved all authors to their own imprint - the reason I released a second edition of Life Outside the Box.  This second edition and all further books will be published under my own brand,  Real People - Real Lives Press.  Life Outside the Box is a series with at least two more books expected to be released. I also have 3 other titles in the beginning stages that will be along the same line, but with a slightly different focus. If you want to be first in line to hear about new titles, just go to www.marilynrwilson.com and add your email to my newsletter list.'

7. What advice do you have for anyone wanting to pursue a career in writing?

It's actually very easy to be a writer. A writer writes. Just do it every day. The hard part comes as you move into publication and earning that paycheck. It's a tough industry going through a lot of change. You have to prepare yourself that it may not be financially lucrative. The areas of writing that do pay are not usually the ones we dream of - writing copy for websites, writing technical instructions, etc.  But if your passion is to write, then you will find a way to work it into your life. Just begin.

Giveaway:​

Win a copy of Life Outside the Box 2nd edition by Marilyn R. Wilson (4 print copies for USA & Can only, 8 ePub copies open int’l) 12 winners total
Ends Dec 31




1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for hosting my book spotlight on your site and for the great interview!

    ReplyDelete